Saturday, July 16, 2011

They grow up so fast!

Today, I saw my mentee (a girl I mentored since she was 14 years old). She is now 24. I kept in touch with her over the years but we haven't seen each other in about 4 years. She is all grown up! I remember when I saw her at age 20, and she was asking me about sex and I told her, just give me a second... because just the other day you were 14!!! She just grew up so fast, that I couldn't believe she was asking me about sex. After I processed the fact that time moves on, I remember telling her any and everything she wanted to know.

Now at 24, she lives with her boyfriend, works and is trying to figure out what she wants to do with her life. She is very put together, considering her upbringing (that's another story).

We strolled down University Ave in Palo Alto, ate Pizza at Pizza My Heart, followed by Coffee outside at Borders. And we just talked and laughed. We discussed sex and there was no more nostalgia for me, wishing she was only 14, I told her about my divorce (she asked) we talked about sex (of course) and I encouraged her to not rush into having children, weight and diets, her family drama and discussed more sex. LOL. It was such a good day.

She is so funny and glad that I can be there for her and she confides in me. I love that girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment